Tips on Finding the Best Data Recovery Company
by John Krane
May 12, 2005
When hard drives fail, it can be difficult to decide what to do. If you want your data recovered, you need to find the best data recovery company possible. Here are some things to consider when approaching data recovery companies.
1. The best data recovery companies only use nondestructive methods, meaning that they never risk causing damage to a hard drive. A common misconception is that this restricts the recovery options for the engineers working on the drive, but this is untrue. No data can be recovered via a dangerous “destructive” method that a good data recovery company couldn’t recover with safer, alternative methods. Datarecovery.com does not and has never used any recovery technique that has a possibility of causing data loss.
2. Ask about service options. Trustworthy data recovery companies will have several multiple service options to meet your needs. If you need your data as quickly as possible, you’ll want a different service than someone who doesn’t care about turnaround time, and vice versa. Datarecovery.com offers several pricing plans to accomodate all customers’ budgets and time constraints.
3. Every good data recovery company has a clean room. This is necessary to open your drive without damaging it, and invasive recovery can never be attempted in anything other than a clean environment. The best data recovery companies have certified class 100 clean rooms, and Datarecovery.com has one at all locations. It is easy to say you have a clean-room, but one way to be sure is to ask to see a copy of the company’s cleanroom certification, which should be updated monthly.
4. How is data returned to you? Some companies use DVDs and CDs, which can be complicated and frustrating when large amounts of data is returned. The best data recovery companies offer data return on external hard drives, which are worth the price to stop the headache–especially at Datarecovery.com, where data is returned on discounted external drives.
5. The best data recovery companies will not lie about success rates. Any company telling you they have a rate of more than 80% is tricking you. Rates vary depending upon medium, and how you measure success. Datarecovery.com’s recovery success rate could be 78% to 98%, depending on the method used to figure out this success rate. For instance, our success rate would be extremely high if we excluded hard drive that arrived in our labs with absolutely no chance of recovery because of fire damage, or scored platters, but would advertising this rate be fair to you? It would be misleading, which is why we do not advertise our success rate.
It is wise to call for price quotes and ask about methods and credentials before trusting your data to a recovery service. Once you’ve made an informed decision, you’ll know what to expect and how to proceed. The best data recovery company will know what you need, how to help you, and how to get your data back in your hands before you know it.